Penguin, Tasmania, Australia
- Teacher/trainer education – plant protection, organic agriculture, permaculture, science, sustainability, learning, curriculum development
- Permaculture design
- Organic farming
- Educational research and research supervision
- Secondary teaching – chemistry, biology, environmental science, general science
- Conference planning and development
- Review and rewrite of UNESCO Teacher Education Modules for the Pacific (in progress)
- Project consultant: Skilling Tasmania for a sustainable future – Skills for the carbon challenge, Commonwealth of Australia, 2014
- Trainer and developer: Lead farmers crop protection for Kastom Gaden trainers in Solomon Islands, 2011 (with G. Jackson)
- Trainer and developer: Effective learning in plant protection (IPPSI project), Solomon Islands 2008, 2009 (with G. Jackson)
- Development of IPPSI training manual (with G. Jackson)
- Co-convenor, teachers’ professional learning conference, Archdiocese of Honiara, Solomon Islands, 2006-2009
- Development and implementation of Microscience equipment trial in Solomon Islands schools, Curriculum Development Centre, Honiara, 2009
- Facilitator, various Permaculture Design Certificate and Dip Perm courses, 1998-2012
- Member, advisory committee, Australian Sustainable Schools Initiative
- Member, steering committee, development of Vocational Graduate Certificate in Teaching in Sustainability, Swinburne University of Technology
- PhD University of Melbourne: Thesis title The Getting of Hope: Personal Empowerment through Learning Permaculture
- M.Ed University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
- M.Sc Mycology and Plant Pathology, University of London
- B.Sc Chemistry and Botany, University of London
- Graduate Diploma of Education, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
- Certificate IV Vocational Training & Assessment, Swinburne University of Technology
- Permaculture Design Certificate, Chiltern Permaculture Services
- English (native speaker)
- Solomon Islands Pijin (basic)
- French (basic)
Papers, reports and conferences
- Dawborn, K. and Smith, C. (Eds). (2011) Permaculture pioneers: Stories from the new frontier. Hepburn: Melliodora Publishing (Book).
- Jackson, G., Smith, C., et al. (2014). Crop protection training manual for Kastom Gaden trainers in Solomon Islands. Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID).
- Jackson, G., Smith, C., et al. (2010). Improving plant protection in Solomon Islands (IPPSI): Crop protection curriculum and teaching methods for Solomon Islands. Manual for Trainers and Trainees. Secretariat of the Pacific Community, Suva, Fiji.
- Smith, C. (2009). Outside Africa: Microscience in the Solomon Islands. In Compendium of innovations and good practices in Microscience. UNESCO, AbujaSmith, C (2009). Developing quality science education in Solomon Islands: Evaluation trial of Microscience kits. Report to Caritas Australia.
- Smith, C. (2006-2011). Solomon Islands Catholic Teachers’ Sodality conference, Solomon Islands. Reports to Catholic Education Offices Archdiocese of Honiara and Diocese of Sale, Victoria.
- Smith, C. (2005). Permaculture, organics and food security: An Australian perspective. Pacific Ecologist 10, Summer.